Have you ever wanted to be that person in the neighborhood who gave out the perfectly packaged treats at Halloween or the neighborhood Fall Fest? No? Me neither, until this year … For some reason I am on a mission to make my own treats and the pretty little bags to put them in. I have even considered stamping the names of the neighborhood kids on the Fall themed treat bags, but then I thought that might be slightly over the top so I pulled back. But just a bit.
While I realize the number of trick-or-treat visitors you get will determine how excited you might be about tackling this project, it really did not take very long and I was able to complete it while catching up on my BRAVO reruns after dinner. And I was even able to use pieces of scrap tissue paper that has been staring at me from the craft closet begging to be used for months. Crafting AND organizing? Does it get much better than that?
Bottom line, I feel confident you can get this done in one evening and feel like the Martha on your street – at least for one day. Let me know how it feels.
SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE DIY FALL THEMED TREAT BAGS::
- Tissue paper, variety of colors
- Card stock paper
- Leaf craft punches, two or more shapes
- Glassine bags
- Crafting glue, such as Mod Podge
- Small paint brush
DIRECTIONS FOR DIY FALL THEMED TREAT BAGS ::
1. Fold tissue paper over to create 3 to 4 layers, place card stock paper behind the tissue paper and using the leaf craft punch cut out several leaves. Repeat with all tissue paper colors. NOTE – the card stock prevents the tissue paper from tearing and allows for clean cutting edges.
2. On a protected surface, place leaves in the desired pattern on the glassine bags. Dip the paint brush into the glue and carefully spread over the leaves. NOTE – you may need to repeat this step to create a layered effect with the leaves. Allow to dry overnight then fill with your favorite treats!
What will you fill your Fall themed treat bags with? Up for a suggestion, how about my Homemade Candy Corn marshmallows? They are super easy to make, and their color comes from food based dyes’ so they are safe for little ones.
Let me know what you will be filling your Fall themed treat bags with in the comments and be sure to tag #AnAppealingPlan in your pictures if you give this DIY a try.