The time has come … we had fun in October, November and December eating and drinking as we please and now it must happen. Time to get my body back to a healthy state in time for spring. Yes – January is DETOX time.
Luckily my favorite breakfast is a cool smoothie so that part is a breeze but this year I have a shiny new Cuisinart blender and I plan to use all those blinking buttons to create some seriously tasty and nutritious smoothies for me and the MR. To kick off the detox I wanted to get a few recipes down to use as a base for the others I will create for the month, plus I know I want to add more Chia seeds and coconut water to my diet. Chia seeds I do pretty well with but coconut water, that’s another story. No matter how many times I try it I just can’t drink it straight – so I thought maybe I can hide in my morning smoothie. Brilliant right!?
Coconut water and Chia seeds do not come together for a smoothie with out a few other ingredients so I thought what seasonal, fresh and ingredients will add a ton of flavor to my morning smoothie … Avocados – YES. Strawberries – YES.
Strawberries are an antioxidant powerhouse – rich with red pigment anthocyanins, which means strawberries can potentially help prevent cancer. You may have heard that strawberries contain Vitamin C but did you know that folate, potassium and manganese are also found in strawberries – manganese helps bones and folate is important for moms to be. All of that and a 1-cup serving is less than 50 calories!
Creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Smoothie
- 2 cups sliced Florida strawberries, frozen
- 1 avocado, skinned, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a blender combine all ingredients. Pulse until well combined. Add coconut water or honey as desired for consistency and taste.
- Refrigerated or freeze excess for tomorrow!
Did you know that Plant City, Florida is the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World?
“It all started over a hundred years ago, when Henry Plant decided to build a railroad to Tampa. The railroad offered unique potential for local growers to market their winter morsels of sunshine to the entire east coast.
In 1980, a few strawberry growers began meeting in their homes to discuss the best way to organize a group that would represent the interests of the Florida strawberry industry. In 1982, the Florida Strawberry Growers Association (FSGA) was officially formed. This organization became a voice for Florida strawberry growers. The mission for the handful of farmers was to become “partners in research, promotion and member/community service”.
In the years since then, the growers have met that mission and succeeded in forming a voluntary organization that supports over 11,000 acres of berries. Hillsborough County produces about 15 percent of the nation’s strawberries and virtually all the berries grown during the winter.”
Show us your Strawberries Instagram photo contest presented by #SundaySupper and @flastrawberries
To Enter: Share a photo featuring a strawberry using the hashtag #FLStrawberry and you could win a $100, $50, or $25 gift card
Contest runs from 12/27/15 – 01/17/16
Winners will be chosen at random and announced during the LIVE #SundaySupper Twitter Party. 01/17/16
Must be US resident 18 years of age or older. This promotion is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram.
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Visit ALL the Sunday Supper Bloggers to see what they are cooking up this week!
Strawberries for Starters
- Crispy Strawberry and Brie Bites by Ruffles & Truffles
- Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Flatbread by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Ball by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Strawberries for Breakfast
- Creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Avocado Smoothie by An Appealing Plan
- Fresh Strawberry Breakfast Parfait by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Balsamic Frittata by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Strawberry Bread by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Breakfast Cake by Recipe for Perfection
- Strawberry French Toast Kabobs by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Guacamole & Bacon Toast by I’m Not the Nanny
Strawberries for Lunch
- Strawberry-Poppyseed Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
- Venison Street Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Brie Flatbread Salad by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Caprese Salad by Life Tastes Good
Strawberries for Dinner
- Balsamic Pork Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy One Pot Chicken Strawberry Paella by Food Done Light
- Pecan Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Quinoa with Salmon and Strawberries by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry BBQ Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Risotto by Magnolia Days
Plus don’t miss Delicious Strawberry Ideas and Sweet Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to allow ease of shopping for you ~ if you purchase something after following a link I may, or may not, earn a small commission on the product.