Growing up in the Northeast I didn’t understand the importance of the boxes filled with citrus that my Uncle Steve living in Florida would send us during the winter months. This Winter Citrus and Endive Salad brings together everything I have now grown to know and love about winter citrus and the less known chicory family all in one dish.
To be honest I still struggle with it a bit… Isn’t citrus meant to complement flavors like seafood, be the main component in fresh breakfast drinks and add that brightness to cocktails to be sipped while sitting on the dock. But turns out, in America, the majority of the citrus we produce is in winter months! Who knew …
What I have also grown to love is the variety of citrus available and this differences in their gorgeous fleshy colors! From the vibrant orange of Naval Orange to the saturated hue of Blood Red Oranges and the lovely pink goodness of Ruby Red Grapefruit, winter citru is an ombré rainbow of colors.
Eat this Winter Citrus and Endive Salad with our with out the dressing, however the vinegar and shallots add a bite that sets off the juicy citrus to really bring out the flavor. If you choose to skip the dressing of not, do not skip the Taragon – I’m in love with this herb for many recipes but in this combination it’s a complete match made in heaven. Plus it adds that pop of fresh green every dish needs.
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 Ruby Red grapefruits
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 navel orange
- 3 Belgian endives, leaves separated
- 1 tablespoon handpicked Taragon
- In a small bowl, combine shallots and vinegar, let rest for 5 minutes. Mix in olive oil, salt, pepper until well combined. Put aside up to 24 hours.
- Peel citrus and slice 1/2 inch slices.
- Separate endive leaves and place on platter. Add citrus slices, top with candied walnuts, Taragon. Dress at table.
If you think salads are just for summer luncheons think again. The Sunday Supper community has come together this week to show you that there is a salad for every season and every meal!
#SundaySupper Winter Salads
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.