Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day or any Summer holiday gathering call for cocktails that are a refreshing blend of all the season has to offer! Fresh squeezed lime and grapefruit juices muddled together with just picked mint create a tasty fresh citrus rum cocktail perfect for entertaining or simply cooling off with your toes in the water.
Inspired by the popular Paloma Cocktail I wanted to create a cocktail that brought together my favorite citrus flavors but that would blend well with rum rather than tequila. I know most people love tequila in the summer but it’s just not my favorite – something to do with a certain senior class trip, but that’s a long story for another time.
Really you could use most white alcohols you have in your bar in this recipe but I chose to start with white rum and it turned out really tasty! The ice will water it down after a little while but you could also add tonic water if you are worried about guests enjoying them a little to quickly, as can happen in the warm summer months.
I was concerned about the rum being too sweet but actually the fresh citrus juices and mint took the front stage and I have to say even I am impressed about how delish this Lime, Grapefruit + Mint Cocktail turned out. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think! Cheers!
Fresh Citrus + Mint Rum Cocktail
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed Ruby Red grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 ounces of white rum
- lime slice, for garnish
- grapefruit slice, for garnish
- In a cocktail glass muddle mint leaves and lime juice until mint is bruised and oils are released. Add ruby red grapefruit juice and rum. Stir to combine well.
- Fill glass with ice and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Garnish with a mint sprig, half a lime slice and half of a grapefruit slice.
- Serve chilled.