The recipe for this fruit-swirled quick bread calls for fresh Florida Strawberries and is perfect for your holiday entertaining menu or a homemade holiday gift. Try a cream cheese spread as a delicious side for this Strawberry Bread Recipe.
I must admit growing up in the Northeast I, like many living in the northern states, think of strawberries as a summer fruit only seasonally available in the warmer months. But did you know that American grown Florida Strawberries are available November through April. Makes you wonder why you would ever buy a strawberry not grown in the U.S. right?
So now the question is – What tasty treats can we make year round to take advantage of this berry abundance? Luckily there is a plethora of sweet and savory strawberry recipes to be found for any winter entertaining opportunity you have to break out those beautiful Florida Strawberries.
I love this twist on a standard Strawberry Bread recipe with switching out the cinnamon for cardamon. It adds a special flavor that is wonderful for the cooler months of the holiday season.
And don’t forget all the amazing health benefits of strawberries! Strawberries and other fruits are virtually fat-free and contain no cholesterol. They are an excellent source of folic acid and a good source of potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure. PLUS strawberry skins contains both gallic and ellagic acids which many researchers believe help treat and even prevent certain forms of cancer. Learn more about the health benefits on the Florida Strawberry Website – HERE.
Update :: Over time, I have had several questions about the type of strawberries I use in my recipes. Here is a photo of the strawberries I use, fresh Florida Strawberries.
Strawberry Bread Recipe
5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
1 pint fresh Florida Strawberries, rinsed, hulled, halved and mashed with a fork
1 3/4 cups whole wheat organic all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan.
In a small saucepan, bring strawberries to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk to combine flour, baking soda, cardamon, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Add 1/2 of flour mixture, 1/3 cup water combine well, mix in remaining flour mixture. Fold in reserved strawberries.
Scrape batter into buttered pan, smoothing top. Bake 45 minutes, check for doneness, tent top with foil to prevent browning, cook another 15 minutes. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
Cool in pan 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges; invert onto a rack to remove from pan. Reinvert; cool completely.
Links to social channels for Florida Strawberries
Florida Strawberry is launching a huge giveaway this season.
Submit a fabulous photo with Florida strawberries and receive a free Florida Strawberry cap plus get entered for a chance to win a getaway to Florida at the TradeWinds Island Resort in St. Pete’s Beach. Airfare, accommodations, and a tour of a strawberry farm in Plant City for up to 4 people. Enter HERE.
Giveaway terms and conditions.
- The Florida Strawberry Cap Contest #FloridaStrawberryCap begins on December 12, 2016 at 12:00 a.m. and ends on February 12, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
- Submit a photo directly through the link or on social media using the #FLStrawberryCap hashtag
- Everyone who enters gets a Florida Strawberry Cap – Limit one per household
- You can enter for the grand prize as many times as you’d like
Disclosure Statement: This post is sponsored byFlorida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
- Balsamic Strawberry Brie Bites by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Strawberry Chipotle Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Savory Strawberry Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Apple Salsa by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Hummus by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries by Desserts Required
- Classic Eton Mess by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fresh Strawberry Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Goopy Goop – A Healthy Strawberry Sauce by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Bundt Cake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting by Family Around The Table
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberry & Chicken Kabobs by Books n’ Cooks
- Grilled Fish Topped with Strawberry Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry and Arugula Pizza by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Strawberry Balsamic Brie Grilled Cheese by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Almond Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Bread by An Appealing Plan
- Strawberry Bruschetta Side Salad by April Golightly
- Strawberry Coleslaw by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Pecan Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.