To me flowers make the table! I like to use unexpected vessels for my arrangements but occasionally they aren’t water tight. Here is my quick fix for that and a how-to for creating an easy holiday centerpiece with flowers and candles using a few of my favorite greens – Seeded Eucalyptus and Boxwood clippings as well as a mixture of colorful flowers – Blue Eryngium Thistle Super Nova, Purple Liatris and Orange Safflower Seed. Please feel free to use whatever flowers you find at the market or garden.
Although I mention specific flowers and greens in this article, and in the video, the real take away is that you can create a base for your arrangements using any vessel that inspires you with just a few items you may even have around your home. Use this as an inspiration and let your creativity run wild!
Creating a Holiday Centerpiece with Flowers + Candles
- oasis, wet floral foam
- Ziploc style baggies – 1 gallon size or larger
- 2 taper candles
- Stick Um
- Fiskar garden clippers
- Assorted Greens + Florals used in this arrangement:
- Seeded Eucalyptus
- Ornamental Cabbage or Flowering Kale heads
- Blue Eryngium Thistle Super Nova
- Purple Liatris
- Orange Safflower Seed
- Boxwood clippings
- Cut your oasis foam block in half and soak in water overnight to completely saturate with water.
- Push your candle holders into the oasis foam deep enough to hold them straight and secure. If you are not using small candle holders the taper candles may be push directly into the oasis to ensure the stay upright.
- Place each block into a water tight bag and roll down the edges so they are just above the top of the block but are below the top of your decorative vessel. Place block and bag into vessel, add the candles and center in the vessel.
- Begin to cut and place Eucalyptus branches along the outside edge, be sure the cut ends are deep into the oasis for hydration and so the are secure. Insert large Ornamental Cabbage heads into oasis to create the main body of your arrangement. Cut and insert Blue Eryngium Thistle Super Nova and Orange Safflower Seeds then fill in with Boxwood Clippings.
This flower and candle arrangement is perfect for Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving or it can easily be updated for any entertaining opportunity that occurs at your home during the winter and Christmas entertaining season. Simply adjust the color pallet coordinate with your seasonal decor or tablescape as needed.
My Boxwood + Besties tablescape with my Roasted Butternut Squash + Cauliflower Soup recipe, perfect for entertaining friend during the holiday season has also been featured on The Inspired Home website.
* * * * * * *
And, if you are looking for even more easy holiday entertaining, check out An Appealing Plan the book.
I believe we are bringing back entertaining at home, lingering over a table after a lovingly prepared meal with friends. I am thrilled to be able to invite you on this journey with me through a year of celebrating every day. Filled with recipes, tablescapes, floral inspiration and seasonal entertaining ideas An Appealing Plan :: A Year of Everyday Celebrations. To learn more about An Appealing Plan :: A Year of Everyday Celebrations here.
* * * * *
One Reply to “Creating an Easy Holiday Centerpiece with Flowers + Candles”
Love this tip! I love being able to incorporate some of the things out in my garden along with fresh things I find at the market! This centerpiece is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!